Skip to main content

Creamy Miso πŸ₯£

I hated miso soup. And then I loved it ever since.

This comfort soup may have a slight tangy taste depending on what type of miso is used.

My hubby does not like a hint of sour/tangy stuff. To discover that milk could be added to spin off the taste was a welcome revelation!!!


The aroma and taste always takes me back to my days in Japan. My very 1st sip of miso soup was at the canteen of an all-ladies dorm during my very 1st work trip in beautiful Tamagawa prefecture.

It was my 1st time away from my motherland, and 1st time to experience winter, at that. To say that I was in a state of culture shock is an understatement.

I loved soft fluffy Japanese rice. The roasted flaky saba fish. Ramen noodles. Crunchy karaage.

Not miso soup though. I hated miso soup.
But that fateful cold night, I have just reached "home" from the 10-minutes trudge from work. A quick change to warmer clothes, I was immediately at the dinner table. The warm soup felt grudgingly comforting. The next spoonful, and a third, and I was hooked with the flavors. 
 I loved it ever since.  



Tips: less miso paste, more milk.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tuna sandwich fix ♣️♦️♥️♠️

A quick hunger fix that's easy to make, yet packs a flavor bomb. Ingredients : 1 can tuna, drained 1 onion, minced 1/4 cucumber, diced 1 apple diced or sliced 1 carrot, minced (optional*) Salt Pepper Mayonnaise Red chili flakes Buttered bread Steps : Cheese spread**      1 cup cheese, grated       1 type or a mix of varied cheese       Milk, water Saute the tuna in onion & carrots*. Set aside to cool. Once cool, add the other ingredients. Cover & chill in serve until ready to serve. Toast the bread. In a small pan, melt the grated cheese. Add milk and water. Mix well. It should be sticky spread consistency. Serve tuna spread, cheese spread, and warm butter bread, with chips or salsa on the side. Enjoy ! .......... πŸ₯–.......... ❓  Trivia why is it "sand"wich???  Was there sand in the origins of this food? Answer :  Fortunately, not. No gritty sand particles whatsoever.  Sandwich was popularized in the di...

Japanese potato salad, onegaishimasu!!!

Refreshing Crunch in every bite Nice touch of creamy from the potatoes and dressing Wonderful colors BEST of ALL: HEALTHY πŸ₯—  Ingredients  3 potatoes, boiled &  roughly  mashed  1/2 cup of picnic ham, or 1/2 can of Spam, diced and fried. 1 cucumber, sliced 1 carrot, julienne 1/2 cup sweet corn,  1/2 cup picnic ham, diced &fried Japanese mayonnaise (*or any mayo) vinegar 1 boiled egg (optional) Salt and pepper to taste. πŸ₯—  Steps Once the potatoes and ham are done, boiled-mashed, fried, respectively. mix altogether in a big bowl. Serve warm immediately, or it can also be served after being chilled for an hour (if in a rush 30 mins in the chiller will do.) The kids preferred without onions, so I always exclude it. Pair with some nicely fried food, like Japanese sausages, or chicken nuggets; world peace over dinner is hugely important. πŸ’‘ Inspired by: Ochikeron & Just One Cookbook

Is da you?

i & our achi are having a bout of colds & flu.  she got hers from school, i think.  and i got mine from hers, from the all-nighters i had taking care of her the 1st few days onset.    but by God's grace, we are better, it's just a matter of time :-).  our shobe is just like her papa, healthy as a horse, (er maybe pony would suit her better), and still all by God's grace! :-)    s o anyway, i just had to cook some soup for us.. something easy to swallow w/ our sensitive throats, not oily, and with a chock-full of vitamins to help our bodies in this battle with the virus.  to me,  tinolang isda (translation: fish) is just the right answer! t he last time i cooked tinolang isda was in Cebu 7-ish months ago.   when I and my family got here, i was hesitant to cook the same, because i was not familiar with the fresh fish in this region.  Always, all i end up buying at the grocery is the same packed frozen suchi fish.. and i h...